Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Mama's Beer Bread

This bread is total comfort food and reminds me of my mom every time I make it.  She has made this bread since we were babies, and we always knew the second we walked in the door if she was making it.  The smell is mouthwatering and will forever be imprinted in my brain, associated with my mom.    It is soooo yummy and incredibly simple to make.   

  
Denise's Beer Bread

 


 

 

 Ingredients

 
3 cups Self Rising Flour
3 tablespoons Sugar
12 oz Beer 
1/2 stick Butter, melted

 

 
 

 Directions


1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease your loaf pan.

2.  Baking Tip:  Sift your flour before measuring (yes, it really does make a difference!) If you don't have a sifter, use a wisk or fork to stir up the flour in your canister really well.  Then use a spoon to scoop it into your measuring cup.  

3.  In mixing bowl combine Flour and Sugar, then add Beer.  Stir well until all ingredients are incorporated.



4.  Pour batter into greased loaf pan and then pour the melted butter over the top of the batter.  yum!!!




5.  Bake for 45 minutes to an hour until golden brown on top and it sounds hollow when you thump it. 






You can also make it in muffin tins, but I really prefer it as a loaf.   

 
Here's a pic of my mom and the doodle bug.  This was taken on Halloween 2009, when we went thrifting and made the scarves.  I love my mom.  :) 

  


 

 

2 comments:

  1. I am very excited to read about your cooking! If you ever need company one morning, I can bring coffee! I have been making a beer bread recipe from one of my Granny's old Southern Living Cookbooks from 1979. It is also very good, but yours looks much easier. I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to Mommy's Kitchen for providing a link.

    This would definitely be a winner at any potluck.

    ReplyDelete

leave some comment love! come on... you know you want to