Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Nesting Quilt: Part 4

I know everyone is probably tired of seeing posts about this unfinished quilt.  It's almost done!  I promise!  I'm guessing I can get 2 more posts out of it before everyone starts boycotting my little blog.  :)  My goal is to get this little beauty done by January 31st so I can start my mom's quilt in February. 

Becky, Mr. Mudpie and myself headed over to our local library on Friday to lay out the quilt and have a good old fashioned Basting Party.  Mr. Mudpie of couse didn't help, but he did actually sit with us and I'm pretty sure I saw him watching the process a few times.  It makes me happy that he is taking an interest in this project.  


Basting took about an hour... 15 minutes of which was spent standing still and gossiping with a safety pin in our hands, until we remembered we were supposed to be pinning.  :)  That's how Becky and I work.  The only thing missing was our usual food and drinks.  Too bad the library doesn't allow that! 

We had planned on using one of the meeting rooms, but the librarian said to go ahead and push some tables together in the sitting area.  It was fun watching people walk by and peek at us.  We got a few odd looks and one older lady who kept looking and smiling our way. 


While I'm thinking about it, here are a few tips on Basting:
  • Use LOTS of safety pins.  If you think you're done, go back and add a dozen more.  The more pins, the less puckers in your finished projects. 
  • Tape the backing fabric to the tables (or floor) to keep it from shifting. 
  • Have a friend help.  Another set of eyes is great, but the giggling and gossiping is better!


So here it is, in all of it's basted glory.  The quilting will commence tonight.  I know I was going to wait until after the class, but I really do want to start using it.  Plus, I really do think that grid quilting will look quite nice on this quilt. 


Next installment will be on the actual quilting process, and then hopefully a post this week of the quilt completed and in it's new home.  I can't wait! 

3 comments:

  1. WOW! So much work. You are much better than I at giving 100% to a project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt. Cute fabric!

    Sarah
    http://www.alittleofthis---alittleofthat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to do this at the library. I might do that next time I have a big quilt to baste. And even better to have a friend help!

    ReplyDelete

leave some comment love! come on... you know you want to